There are so many wonderful things the great Sufi poet, Jalaluddin Rumi can teach you about Love. And when I say Love, I am referring to that pure, truthful and precious love we all seek for – Love that can be found at the core of each of every one of us – and Love that you will hopefully find more of after reading these beautiful Rumi quotes.
1. YOUR SOUL IS GOD’S LOVER.
“Soul, if you want to learn secrets, your heart must forget about shame and dignity. You are God’s lover, yet you worry what people are saying.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
2. LOVE IS THE BRIDGE BETWEEN YOU AND EVERYTHING.
“Love is the bridge between you and everything.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
3. WHAT YOU SEEK IS SEEKING YOU
“What you seek is seeking you.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
4. LOVERS DON’T FINALLY MEET SOMEWHERE. THEY’RE IN EACH OTHER ALL ALONG.
“If you find me not within you, you will never find me. For I have been with you, from the beginning of me.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
“The minute I heard my first love story, I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.”
“A lover asked his beloved, Do you love yourself more than you love me? Beloved replied, I have died to myself and I live for you. I’ve disappeared from myself and my attributes, I am present only for you. I’ve forgotten all my learnings, but from knowing you I’ve become a scholar. I’ve lost all my strength, but from your power I am able. I love myself…I love you. I love you…I love myself.”
5. IT IS THE INNER BOND THAT DRAWS ONE PERSON TO ANOTHER, NOT WORDS.
“Words are a pretext. It is the inner bond that draws one person to another, not words.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
6. GAMBLE EVERYTHING FOR LOVE.
“Gamble everything for love, if you are a true human being. If not, leave this gathering. Half-heartedness doesn’t reach into majesty.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
7. LOVE CALLS – EVERYWHERE AND ALWAYS.
“Love calls – everywhere and always. We’re sky bound. Are you coming?” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
8. LOVE IS THE CURE.
“Love is the cure, for your pain will keep giving birth to more pain until your eyes constantly exhale love as effortlessly as your body yields its scent.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
9. LIFE WITHOUT LOVE IS DEATH.
“To live without you is to be robbed of love and what is life without it? To live without you is death to me, my love but some call it life.” ~Jalaluddin Rumi
“Whenever we manage to love without expectations, calculations, negotiations, we are indeed in heaven.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
“Take someone who doesn’t keep score, who’s not looking to be richer, or afraid of losing, who has not the slightest interest even in his own personality: he’s free.”
11. A THOUSAND HALF-LOVES MUST BE FORSAKEN TO TAKE ONE WHOLE HEART HOME.
“A thousand half-loves must be forsaken to take one whole heart home.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
12. ANYTHING YOU LOSE COMES ROUND IN ANOTHER FORM.
“Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
“Where there is ruin, there is hope for a treasure.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
13. YOUR TASK IS NOT TO SEEK FOR LOVE.
“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” ― Jalaluddin Rumi
14. BE GRATEFUL FOR WHOEVER COMES YOUR WAY.
“Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
“Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep your heart open through everything, your pain can become your greatest ally in your life’s search for love and wisdom.” ~Jalaluddin Rumi
“The wound is the place where the Light enters you.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
“Put your thoughts to sleep, do not let them cast a shadow over the moon of your heart. Let go of thinking.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
17. THERE IS A SECRET MEDICINE GIVEN ONLY TO THOSE WHO HURT SO HARD THEY CAN’T HOPE.
“There is a secret medicine given only to those who hurt so hard they can’t hope. The hopers would feel slighted if they knew.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
18. GOODBYES ARE ONLY FOR THOSE WHO LOVE WITH THEIR EYES.
“Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
19. REASON IS POWERLESS IN THE EXPRESSION OF LOVE.
“Reason is powerless in the expression of Love.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
20. LET THE BEAUTY OF WHAT YOU LOVE BE WHAT YOU DO.
“Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
21. WHEREVER YOU ARE, AND WHATEVER YOU DO, BE IN LOVE.
“Wherever you are, and whatever you do, be in love.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
22. RAISE YOUR WORDS, NOT YOUR VOICE.
“Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
23. THE WAY YOU MAKE LOVE IS THE WAY GOD WILL BE WITH YOU.
“Remember. The way you make love is the way God will be with you.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
24. LOVE IS OUR MOTHER.
“We are born of love; Love is our mother.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
25. THROUGH LOVE, ALL THAT IS BITTER WILL BE SWEET.
“Through Love, all that is bitter will be sweet, Through Love all that is copper will be gold, Through Love, all dregs will become wine, through Love all pain will turn to medicine. ” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
26. THE HEART KNOWS NO BOUNDARIES.
“I am neither of the East nor of the West, no boundaries exist within my breast.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
27. LOVE IS BEYOND WORDS.
“However much I might try to expound or explain Love, when I come to Love itself, I am ashamed of my explanations… Love alone can explain the mysteries of love and lovers..” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
28. PLANT THE LOVE OF THE HOLY ONES WITHIN YOUR SPIRIT.
“Plant the love of the holy ones within your spirit; don’t give your heart to anything, but the love of those whose hearts are glad.” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
29. LET LOVE BE YOUR COMPANION.
“I have no companion but Love, no beginning, no end, no dawn. The Soul calls from within me: ‘You, ignorant of the way of Love, set Me free.’” ~ Jalaluddin Rumi
30. CRAVE A LOVE SO DEEP THE OCEAN WOULD BE JEALOUS.
“I crave a love so deep the ocean would be jealous.”
31. DON’T PLANT ANYTHING BUT LOVE.
“With life as short as a half-taken breath, don’t plant anything but love.”
32. YOU ARE A LOVER OF YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE.
“You are a lover of your own experience … not of me … you turn to me to feel ur own emotion”
33. THE GIFTS OF LOVERS TO ONE ANOTHER TESTIFY TO INVISIBLE LOVE.
“The gifts of lovers to one another are, in respect to love, nothing but forms; yet, they testify to invisible love.”
34. ALL FEAR BECOME INSIGNIFICANT ONCE THE INTENTION OF LIFE BECOMES LOVE.
“All doubt, despair and fear become insignificant once the intention of life becomes love.”
35. IN THE HOUSE OF LOVERS, THE MUSIC NEVER STOPS.
“In the house of lovers, the music never stops, the walls are made of songs & the floor dances”
36. LOVE IS THE WHOLE THING. WE ARE ONLY PIECES
“I, you, he, she, we In the garden of mystic lovers, these are not true distinctions.”
37. SPEAK WITH THE LANGUAGE OF LOVE.
“Listen with ears of tolerance! See through the eyes of compassion! Speak with the language of love.”