Let me warn you! If you are looking for the movies where the guy gets the girl, have a good laugh, the movie ends in a fairy tale style, and they live happily ever after then this list is not for you. These are the movies that will Fuck with your mind, will screw it, turn you upside down. Once you’re done watching these movies, the first thing you’re gonna say is WTF? That’s why they are called the mindufuck movies. If you haven’t seen any movies of such style before then this is gonna be a wild ride for you! Have you ever seen a movie which makes you question your mind? Which makes you question whether what you saw is real or not. Which questions your reasoning, surround your rational thinking with the clouds of doubt. These are the type of movies which you won’t understand at first, you simply can’t figure out the concept in one watch, but when play it over and over you get it.
These minfuck movies will play with your little head, you can feel pretty stupid for not understanding what’s happening around. The films mentioned below are for serious watchers, not for the Disney audience. You’ll need patience, a clear head, and a bowl of pop-corn to enjoy these movies. The best thing about these films are that they are cleverly scripted, well-directed and with a superb piece of acting. There are so many twists, turns, and a mind blending plot. You have to be incredibly clever to follow-up the storyline, it will keep you guessing right till the end. In the end you’ll either praise the movie or you’ll curse it for blowing your mind. In no particular order here are the 25 best mindfuck movies that will blow your mind! These movies will leave your mind completely fucked.
1. Fight Club – Over the time Fight Club has become a cult hit, based on the novel of the same name by Chuck Palahniuk. This movie has some deep philosophy and it questions our lifestyle as consumers. Different people have different interpretations of the movie. Starring Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, directed by David Fincher, this movie is a must see. This is all time favorite movie of all the mindfuck movies.
If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?
2. Predestination – Like the title says, the movie deals with the predestination time paradox. This movie is unexplainable, the best way to understand it is by seeing it.
What if I could put him in front of you? The man who ruined your life? If I could guarantee that you’d get away with it would you kill him?
3. Shutter Island – Brilliance is what happens when Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio come together for a movie. Once again another psychological thriller based on a novel. The characters are well-developed, has all the elements of a good psychological thriller; sense of tingling paranoia, a life infused with delusions, and a good mystery to blend your psyche.
This is a sick fucking world we live in.
4. Donnie Darko – This movie has a very loyal cult following. A teenage who is afflicted with these visions to commit crimes, the teenager is troubled with his emotional problems at the same time. The movie deals with the philosophy of time travel, worm-holes, tangent universe and time travel stuff. The ending of the movie is ambiguous, if you’re still confused about what happened then do visit the various forums, blogs made by the viewers of the movie.
Every living creature on earth dies alone.
5. The Machinist – In my opinion this movie is one of the finest movies of Christian Bale’s career. We know Bale is a method actor, but for the movie Bale lost 62 pounds! The dedication of Bale makes it a must-watch movie. Although this movie is a bit depressing, it can leave you low in spirit. It’s not for the faint hearted people.
How do you wake up from a nightmare when you are not asleep?
6. Oldboy – It is one of the dark, disturbing, hard-hitting movies of all time. You won’t be the same person after watching this movie. It will leave you shocked, gloomy, and saying WTF! It is controversial, sick, disgusting, and most importantly a mind fucking movie.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
7. Pi – You know it’s true what they say that Mathematics can drive you insane. Pi is a movie about a reclusive mathematician who is looking for the number which is the key to everything. He’s searching for the ultimate pattern. This movie is bizarre and disturbing, but very well crafted, directed by Aronofsky and Gullette.
Everything can be represented and understood through numbers.
8. The Butterfly Effect – Travelling in past is something everyone has dreamt of, hoped for. But there are some consequences when you travel back in time to change something. This movie is a treat for the time travel lovers.
It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly’s wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world – Chaos Theory.
9. Stay – This is such an underrated movie, it is a movie that will engage your mind, force you to set aside the rational principles of understanding. And it will fuck your mind. It is the type of movie which along with your time, also needs an investment of your attention. The movie deals with the concept of reality, illusion, and death.
There’s too much beauty to quit.
10. Memento – This is a masterpiece from Christopher Nolan based on the short story “Memento Mori’ by his younger brother Jonathan Nolan. Ranked one of the best films of its decade due to its unique theme, nonlinear narrative structure, structure and motifs of memory, perception, and self-deception. The ending of the movie will leave you with so many questions.
We all need memories to remind ourselves who we are.
11. A Serbian Film – Rated NC-17 for extreme aberrant sexual and violent content including explicit dialogue. This is the most disturbing, disgusting, nasty movie of the modern era, and debatably of all time. Some things you just can’t unsee, and A Serbian Film is something that is beyond the accepted norms, a sick flick.
Porn is like cartoons for grownups.
12. Inception – I often ask myself how does Nolan do it? This guy’s a freaking genius! Inception is a movie about the world where exists a technology that allows you to infiltrate the subconscious of the people. A large cast including Leonardo DiCaprio, Ellen Page, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tom Hardy, with the music of Hans Zimmer makes it a must-watch movie of all time.
You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
13. The Game – Released in 1997, directed by David Fincher, this movie is about a rich banker who is given a strange birthday gift which changes everything, consumes his life. Although the movie when released was met with a mixed critical reviews, but it has become a cult hit. The story, characters, direction is excellent, a delight for a psychological thriller fan.
There are no rules in The Game.
14. Open Your Eyes –The intersection between the dreams and reality makes it a beautiful film. This movie is a source of inspiration for movies like matrix. Vanilla Sky starring Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz is the Hollywood remake of this movie. Although I would prefer the Spanish over the Hollywood version. The story revolves around the main character not knowing whether he’s in state of reality, a dream or a nightmare.
Open your eyes.
15. Jacob’s Ladder –The film’s title refers to the biblical story of Jacob’s Ladder, or the dream of a meeting place between Heaven and Earth. This movie is going to twist your mind, highly intelligent plot, and a surprise ending is what makes it one of the all time best mindfuck movie. Although at first watch many people would find it weird, but you have to go over and over to understand the story.
So, if you’re frightened of dying and… and you’re holding on, you’ll see devils tearing your life away.
16. The Prestige – Directed by Christopher Nolan, starring Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson, this is yet another Nolan’s masterpiece. This movie is entertaining, beautifully filmed and some strong performances by the actors. It’s gonna take your mind on a roller-coaster of twists and turns, you’ll end up boggling your mind. This is what happens when Batman, Wolverine and Black Widow come together in a movie LOL.
Are you watching closely?
17. Primer – It’s about two engineers who accidentally discover a means of time travel. It’s made up of extremely low-budget, and is noted for its complex plot, philosophical implications, and confusing ending. This is something that you won’t like, you would watch it expecting some movie with entertainment and fun part, but you would end up feeling disappointed. This is for serious movie watchers.
If you always want what you can’t have, what do you want when you can have anything?
18. Mr. Nobody – This film is known for its non-linear and the Many-Worlds-Theory interpretation style. This movie is a blend of physics, philosophy, sci-fi elements, chaos, distractions. This movie is one of those WHAT IF? scenario movies. It opens up a room for many worlds theory that there are parallel universes like ours.
As long as you don’t choose, everything remains possible.
19. Interstellar – Science, Cosmology, Worm Holes on the big screen, nobody could have presented it in a better way except Nolan. The movie is about a crew of astronauts who travel through a wormhole in space in search of a new home, to survive. Like most of the Nolan movies you’ll need brains in your head to watch it.
Love is the one thing that transcends time and space.
20. Triangle – This movie plays with your mind like a football, kicking it from one place to the other. It will leave you thinking right until the end. The story revolves around the passengers of a yacht in the Atlantic Ocean, due to strange weather conditions they are forced to jump onto another ship, only to find that something or someone is stalking them.
Bad dreams make you think you’re seeing things that you haven’t.
21. Mulholland Drive – It tells the story of Betty, a fledgling actress from Deep River, Ontario, and Rita, a girl with amnesia resulting from a freak car accident and their journey together. This movie is a strange jigsaw puzzle such that each piece of the puzzle won’t fit into its place easily. Once again another mind blending masterpiece from David Lynch.
A Love Story In The City Of Dreams.
22. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind – A movie about a couple who have erased each other from their memories, but can they erase each other from their hearts? Personally it’s one of my all time favorite movies. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet have given strong performances in the film. This movie has the underlying theme of love which each and everyone can easily relate to.
Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.
23. Enter The Void – This is a story about an American drug dealer who gets shot by the police, but his soul continues to observe everything happening around. His soul looks out for resurrection. This movie is another brilliance of Gaspar Noé who is known for his controversial movie “Irréversible”.
You know the good thing about LSD, if you can manage to overcome your fears, you can take your hallucinations wherever you want.
24. Upstream Color – This film is very stylish, have some beautiful photography and creative editing. A complex parasite affects the lives of two people. A man and woman are drawn together, twisted and entangled in the life-cycle of an ageless organism. They struggle to assemble the loose fragments of their wrecked lives as their identity becomes an illusion.
I have to apologize. I was born with a disfigurement where my head is made of the same material as the sun.
25. The Holy Mountain – There is not a lot to say about this film, words are less to truly express what it’s like. You have to watch the movie to experience it like the way you listen to a piece of music. Anyways I’ll just paste what wiki synopsis of the movie-In a corrupt, greed-fueled world, a powerful alchemist leads a Christ-like character and seven materialistic figures to the Holy Mountain, where they hope to achieve enlightenment. It’s one hell of a weird movie.