Not everybody enjoys sleeping in their birthday suit, but perhaps more would partake if they knew some of the amazing benefits can accompany the practice. Sleeping entirely naked cannot only be extremely comfortable once you get used to it, but it can also greatly improve your health among other things. Following are five of the more lesser-known beneficial effects that sleeping naked can have for you.
1. Self-esteem boost. Sleeping in the nude can help you feel more comfortable with your body and have a subtle yet positive impact on your self-esteem, in turn offering an improvement to your mental health. This can in turn lead to an improved sense of confidence within your day-to-day life and even allow you to feel happier overall.
2. Improved skin health. One of the more obvious benefits to sleeping naked is on the skin, which is essentially freed from the confines of your clothing and allowed to breathe freely as you sleep. This can improve the overall health of your skin, and is particularly helpful for those that suffer from some form of body acne who may experience the most relief of their condition from sleeping naked in addition to medications and other forms of treatment.
3. Relationship boost with your partner. Skin-to-skin contact allows for the release of the hormone oxytocin, which can have a huge impact on your relationship with your partner. Among the relationship and other health-related benefits of oxytocin release are counteraction against depression and stress along with reduction in blood pressure and intestinal inflammation. As oxytocin is only released through skin-to-skin contact, failing to sleep naked can hinder your ability to reap its benefits.
4. Anti-aging effects. Sleeping clothed keeps your body temperature a lot warmer, which has the unfortunate effect of failing to allow your body to properly release growth hormones that work to repair skin damage. By sleeping naked and allowing your body temperature to drop while you sleep, your skin can repair itself much more efficiently and therefore potentially prevent wrinkling and other effects of aging.
5. Preventative effects against disease. Perhaps one of the most surprising benefits of sleeping naked is the fact that it can help prevent the onset of some serious diseases. One of these happens to be Type 2 Diabetes, has science has come to show that a lowered body temperature during sleep can lessen the risk of acquiring the disease. This is primarily backed up through the scientific journal Diabetes, which found through its study that sleeping naked in combination with allowing for a cooler room temperature during sleep provided this preventative effect.