Having a good night’s sleep is sure aid for our well being as Ayurveda regards Optimum Sleep as one of the three pillars of Natural wellness and longevity ( the other two are diet and exercise).
Ayurveda Cautions Against Suppressing Sleep
Do you occasionally deprive yourself of a good night sleep? Yes, this is part of our lifestyle today. Blame it on overwork or nightlife. But let me tell you this is again one of the most deleterious practices that you are unknowingly inuring yourself with. Problems like: general malaise, lethargy, indecisiveness, heaviness and pain in the eyes and head, lack of enthusiasm, habitual insomnia, and digestive maladies might be just round the corner.
Insomnia is a sleep disorder which is becoming common world over, and which may mainly be characterized by little or no sleep. This loss of sleep or insomnia may sometimes simply be accompanied by disturbed sleep, light sleep or simply rolling in the bed throughout the night.
Some Causes of Insomnia or Loss of Sleep
- Many times you tend to suffer from loss of sleep or insomnia due to the imbalance in diet and lifestyle and the escalating stress in day-to-day living.
- Due to exceeding cut-throat competition in our everyday life and work situations, sleep related disorders are on the rise.
- Sometimes insomnia may result from a drug reaction.
- Diseases like hypertension and anxiety etc relate to loss of sleep or insomnia as a natural sign.
Sleep Well with Natural Health and Sleep Awareness Tips
- Sleeping in a dark room with calm and quiet environment is vital for overcoming Insomnia and to get natural relaxed sleep.
- Your body works on natural clock. Therefore, fix a proper time and routine like listening to soft music, reading etc. before your everyday snooze. This helps to signal the body and makes it ready for sleep.
- Involve yourself in physical activities and mental work through the day so that it exhausts you enough to obtain a sound sleep.
- Limit your intake of caffeine rich foods like coffee, chocolates etc. as these interfere in the natural pattern of sleep.
- You need to restrict having oily, spicy and heavy to digest meals before going to bed as this also could result into disturbed sleep.
- Take care not to take a long nap during afternoons as this might keep you awake in the night.
- Try not to take worries to bed and also refrain from staring at the darkness if you’re unable to sleep. It is better to go to another room and try any creative activity like reading. Go to bed only when you actually feel sleepy.
- Go in for mud nap occasionally. This is good news for all those suffering from stress, anxiety, insomnia and related maladies.
- Sleeping in the mud also benefits significantly in case of nervine debility and mental instability.
Imbalance and aggravation of the Vata dosha or the air body humor is believed to be the fundamental cause that impedes normal sleep pattern. Thus, for restoring Vatta balance and gaining restoring sleep, there are some diet and lifestyle tips counseled in Ayurveda text.• Heavy and nourishing diet like ghee, milk, sugarcane juice, rice, curds, jaggery based products etc.• Lifestyle measures include self massage ( especially head region and mildly on ears and closed eyes), bathing with perfumed herbal soaps, local application of perfumed pastes or lotions on the body and head, soft pressing of the weary limbs etc.• Mental relaxation is also considered vital for the commencing of relaxed sleep. Ayurveda text mentions to be sparing some time with your kids and agreeable alliances and family members, before going to bed.Ashwagandha and Tagara are some of the well known Ayurveda herbs recommended for loss of sleep. Another herb by the name of Shatavari(Asparagus racemosus) is a body and brain rejuvenator and good for intellect. All the more, it helps undo the everyday strain and induces sound sleep.Ayurveda Dosha Healing Guide for Sleep Pattern for Vatta, Pitta & Kapha TypesVata Types – Sleep pattern needs to organized and followed. Advised Sleeping Time is around 10:00 p.m. The best Sleep position would be to sleep in left side.Pitta Types – Avoid lights at bedtime, sleep more relaxed. Advised to sleep by 10:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. For the Fire types, sleeping in right side is recommended.Kapha Types – Day sleep is strictly forbidden. Sleeping little late is fine , around 11:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m. The Sleep position for the Phlegm types is Left side.