The report, Best Care at Lower Cost: The Path to Continuously Learning Health Care in America, outlined six categories of waste — unnecessary services, inefficient delivery of care, unnecessary administrative costs, inflated prices, missed opportunities for prevention, and fraud.
Among the group’s recommendations to help improve care while reducing cost:
- Decision-support tools and knowledge management systems at point of care should be an integral part of the healthcare system.
- Clinicians should use digital systems to capture patient care experiences.
- Patients and caregivers should be encouraged to partner with clinicians in making healthcare decisions.
- Clinicians should partner with community-based organizations and public health agencies to coordinate interventions to improve health, including use of Web-based tools.
- The payment system should be reformed to reward quality care.
Source:Institute of Medicine